Flood Protection Resources
Flood Protection Resources
- Flood Ready - a public awareness campaign from Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada aimed at increasing Canadians’ knowledge of flood risks.
- FloodSmartCanada - created by Partners for Action, this site is intended as a hub of information related to floods, flood risks and emergency preparedness
- Lower Mainland Flood Management Strategy - a collaborative effort by 27 local governments and 43 funding partners to better protect communities along the lower Fraser River and coast from the risk of a major flood; this website, hosted by the Fraser Basin Council offers several studies related to flood hazards, vulnerabilities, infrastructure and policies
- NOLA Water Analytics - Fraser River Water Levels - a web application that makes available current observed water levels at 17 locations in the Fraser River watershed; combines data collected by the Water Survey of Canada, City of Surrey and Corporation of Delta
- National Disaster Mitigation Program, Public Safety Canada
- BC River Forecast Centre
- BC Ministry of Environment/Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations:
Reports, articles and publications
- "Start with Floodplain Maps" (Fall 2016), Norma Miller, Input (The Real Estate Institute of BC), p. 7-11.
- Climate Change and the Preparedness of Canadian Provinces and Yukon to Limit Potential Flood Damage (October 2016), Dr. Blair Feltmate, University of Waterloo.
- Top 5 Water Challenges That Will Define British Columbia's Future (September 2016), Rosie Simms, Oliver M. Brandes, POLIS Project on Ecological Governance, University of Victoria.
- Low Carbon Resilience: Transformative Climate Change Planning for Canada (June 2016), Adaptation to Climate Change Team, Simon Fraser University.
- The Road to Flood Resilience in Canada (June 2016), Swiss Re.
- Floodplain Mapping Funding Guidebook for BC Local Governments (updated April 2016), BCREA, Ebbwater Consulting and Sustainability Solutions Group.
- "Why it matters that our maps are old" (March 3, 2016), Tamsin Lyle, Ebbwater Consulting.
- BC Floodplain Map Inventory Report (2015), Catherine Parsons and BCREA
- The Financial Management of Flood Risk (2015), Insurance Bureau of Canada
- "People Living in BC Floodplains" (August 2015), Tamsin Lyle, Ebbwater Consulting.
- Paying for Urban Infrastructure in Canada: An Analysis of Existing and Potential Economic Instruments for Local Governments (June 2015), Adaptation to Climate Change Team, Simon Fraser University.
- Risk-based Land-use Guide: Safe use of land based on hazard risk assessment (2015), Natural Resources Canada.
- News release: Harper Government Calls for National Disaster Mitigation Program Proposals (April 17, 2015), Public Safety Canada.
- "Flood Mitigation Systems," Report of the Auditor General (March 2015), Government of Alberta (beginning on page 71).
- Project Spotlight Series - BCREA Floodplain Mapping Program (February 2015), Real Estate Foundation of British Columbia.
- "Disaster Mitigation Funding on the Way" (January 2015), BCREA.
- "What to Do About Canada's Outdated Flood Maps" (November 2014), Regan Reid, Canadian Insurance Top Broker Magazine.
- Partners for Action: Priorities for Advancing Flood Resiliency in Canada (September 2014), Dr. Blair Feltmate, Dr. Jason Thistlethwaite, University of Waterloo Faculty of Environment, initiated by The Co-Operators Group Ltd.
- "In Search of a Risk-based Flood Policy in Canada: Will We Learn from Intense Floods?" (July 2014), Dave Murray and Lawrence Francois, Kerr Wood Leidal; also published in Water News, Official Magazine of the Canadian Water Resources Association (summer 2014).
- "The Impact of Flood Hazard on Real Estate Values" (July 2014), Tamsin Lyle, Ebbwater Consulting.
- Floodplain Mapping Backgrounder (May 2014), Sustainability Solutions Group, Ebbwater Consulting and BCREA.
- Preparing for Climate Change: An Implementation Guide for Local Governments in BC (2013), West Coast Environmental Law.
- Sea Level Rise Adaptation Primer (Fall 2013), The Arlington Group Planning + Architecture Inc., EBA, a Tetra Tech Company, DE Jardine Consulting, Sustainability Solutions Group - for the BC Ministry of Environment.
- Not Waiting for Noah: New Approaches to Assessing Flood Risk--Conference Proceedings Report (April 2013; released January 2014), Adaptation to Climate Change Team, Simon Fraser University.
- Flood Hazard Area Land Use Management Guidelines (May 2004, Ministry of Environment) – also known as “provincial guidelines.”