REALTOR® safety is an important area of concern for the real estate profession. BCREA advises its members to take precautions and help ensure their safety in their day-to-day business. Here are a few of the Association’s recommendations to help ensure your safety in your real estate practice:
- when meeting clients, especially for the first time, meet in your office or a public space;
- have more than one person at meetings and open houses;
- always have a cell phone at your side;
- ensure that a colleague, friend or family member knows where you are at all times and when you will be back;
- don’t publicize personal information; and
- always trust your instincts.
For more information on REALTOR® safety, from the Canadian Real Estate Association, click here. For a one-page printable REALTOR® Safety Checklist to help prepare for open houses, which can also be posted in your brokerage as a reminder, click here.
In support of the Saanich police's ongoing investigation and the victim's family, BCREA continues to post a reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads directly to the apprehension and conviction of the perpetrator in the unsolved 2008 murder of REALTOR® Lindsay Busiak. Please contact the Saanich Police with any information relating to the case at 250.475.4356 or [email protected], or by contacting Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1.800.222.8477(TIPS).